Re: Stupid git!

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Stupid git!
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 23:28:25 +0300

On 09/13/2015 12:51 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

On branch master
Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
and have 1 and 1 different commit each, respectively.
   (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
All conflicts fixed but you are still merging.
   (use "git commit" to conclude merge)

I think what Git says here is pretty transparent: commit to conclude the merge.

:-).  OK, but the immediate problem is that _I_ didn't modify
file-notify-tests.el.  Somebody else did, and git put his changes into
my working directory and `git add'ed it.

Yes, it did. Have you done any non-trivial merges before? That's how they usually look.

The merge commit shouldn't, generally, include any non-mergy changes, so you're not expected to stage any of the files you've been working on, before committing.

I don't have the log entry for
this change.  So am I supposed to just commit this, with my own log
entry?

The log entry should describe the merge (you could leave the default message there, unless it's necessary to add more info).

I don't really understand what "you are still merging" is supposed to
mean.  How do I get out of the "merging" state cleanly, without
commiting somebody else's changes?

The merge commit is *supposed to* include all the changes that have been merged in. If you take it upon yourself to remove those changes from the staging area, as a result Emacs won't include them, and it won't be obvious to most of the people who read emacs-diffs, and then someone will have to find out the hard way that something's missing.