Re: Making `interactive' conditional

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Making `interactive' conditional
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 11:11:45 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> While some may want a more narrow and efficient M-x, others just don't, for
> discovery purposes. Also, it's hard to properly define a "context" for when
> commands should appear, since for some, that notion varies.

Stefan's arguments against not being able to discover commands for
not-read-only-buffers in read-only buffers were good, but that was,
after all, not the original proposal.

The proposal was to not make `M-x TAB' list mode-specific commands.  So
that `M-x di TAB' in a Message mode buffer doesn't list
`diary-hebrew-insert-entry', which is a pretty useless thing to do.

Are anybody against that idea?

> I'd still love to see a faster, more apropos M-x develop in ELPA, if anyone is
> interested in making that happen.

The commands need instrumentation, one way or another, and that has to
happen in Emacs, not in ELPA.