Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 19:26:41 +0200

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema [2016-02-04 13:57:36+02] wrote:

> Regardless, for the purpose of searching, my personal preference would
> be to make folding rather inclusive; I don't really care about the
> exact rules languages have come up for what letters are considered
> "the same", I just care for what I, as a user, would find the easiest
> to match.

> That would also get my vote as a reasonable default for case-folding
> in searches. But I'll happily take any default, as long as there's a
> way to get the above behavior, preferably without having to change my
> locale.

I think that just a global setting and easy switch like M-s <something>
in isearch prompt is enough. I fear that any locale or language based
magic or intelligence is over-engineering and may cause annoying
surprises. Unexpected intelligence can be harmful too.

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///