Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:47:10 -0800

EZ> I'm not going to argue. If enough people think I'm mistaken and want to go
EZ> the portable dumper way, I will resign right here and now. It is very easy
EZ> to convince me to step down, because I hesitated to take this job to begin
EZ> with.

EZ> Your call, crowd.

OK, please let's take a few steps back and not make any rash decisions
today. :)

If Daniel's proposing an internal optimization and is willing to maintain it
-- and if it doesn't make work for other contributors -- I suggest we accept
it as long as he, or someone else, is willing to support it. At the very
least, it frees us from dependence on a glibc feature that is doomed to
disappear.

If later the work becomes difficult to support, or if Daniel disappears, won't
we just be returning to the same position as now? If that happeans, we can
take what we've learned and try another approach, such as speeding up .elc
can just switch to it.

Accepting this patch doesn't mean we don't try the .elc speedup idea. The only
thing we have to make sure is that it doesn't unduly increase the difficulty
of adding new Lisp objects.