Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:03:01 -0800

EZ> However, a dumper that we control by manually telling it what to dum and
EZ> what not doesn't have to do that. IMO, that's just something that doesn't
EZ> need to exist in the brave new unexec-free world. (Note that the "one huge
EZ> .elc file" method has this built-in.)

I'd still like to see research into the "one huge .elc file" method, for the
obvious benefits you listed. As far as I understand, the only difference
between the portable dumper, and one-huge-.elc, is efficiency. Given infinite
resources, the .elc method is much to be preferred, since everything we need
"falls out" from existing design.

I wonder what it would take to bridge that efficiency gap, or am I missing
some new feature provided by the portable dumper?