Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:08:33 -0500

LI> I'm massively unenthusiastic about this future. Things in ELPA has to be
LI> backwards-and-forwards compatible with a wide Emacs version range, which
LI> makes maintaining things much more work. When you develop things in "Emacs
LI> core", you have one specific target and can make large internal changes
LI> without these considerations.

So far, all of these arguments against a tighter development integration with
ELPA have been predicated on the way that ELPA is used today. ELPA is under
our control; we can adjust our process to suit the needs of Emacs development.

LI> Emacs doesn't seem to have a massive surfeit of developers, so I wonder
LI> where this plan comes from.

It comes from the desire to decouple the development of large, mostly external
projects, from core Emacs. They don't belong in Emacs.git.