Re: mouse-wheel-scroll

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: mouse-wheel-scroll
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:05:07 +0300

> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:53:49 +0200
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> IIUC, the amount of scrolling for a single (isolated in time) wheel
> click is currently 5 lines by default in Emacs for anyone who have not
> set some system-specific setting for increasing that amount (75 lines
> in Tak's environment).  And it seems that we all (except you) would
> prefer lowering that amount a bit.

I'm not sure everyone prefers that.  You proposed lowering it to 3,
the OP wanted 1, and I think no one else proposed any other value, nor
expressed opinions on that.

If everyone is okay with lowering to 3, I don't object (not sure why
you thought I did, as I didn't until now express any opinion on that).

> But regardless of the above question about the default value of
> 'mouse-wheel-scroll-amount', I think none of us like the
> Emacs-specific acceleration of the mouse-wheel scrolling.  IOW, we all
> prefer 'mouse-wheel-progressive-speed' set to nil by default.

That is a separate issue, and almost everything in this thread,
including what I wrote, described the original scroll amount, which is
unaffected by this variable.  I'm not sure I even see its effect in my
testing, and no one presented a clear recipe for me to be sure.