Re: building/using address-sanitizer-enabled emacs?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: building/using address-sanitizer-enabled emacs?
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 12:54:53 -0700

A while ago I got address sanitization to work with temacs, but gave up on dumped Emacs because it was too much of a pain. Since we already need to get Emacs to work without dumping for other reasons, I put the address-sanitization project on the back burner, figuring that it wasn't worth my time if a dump-free Emacs will be practical soon.

The project to get Emacs to work without dumping has run into problems, unfortunately. The currently-favored technical approach (see the scratch/raeburn-startup branch) isn't fully working and apparently will slow down Emacs startup significantly, which makes it hard to be enthusiastic about it. Progress has been slow: no changes have been installed since April 10, and the last message from Ken Raeburn, its principal hacker, was April 16 and began "This is probably going to make my brain hurt" <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-04/msg00468.html>.

Daniel Colascione proposed an alternative approach in <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-11/msg00625.html> but as he noted in <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-12/msg00861.html> it has some problems with weak hash tables and we haven't heard from Daniel since January, possibly because he was discouraged by Eli's negative reaction to this approach.