Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Three Flymake backends Was Re: Two issues with the new Flymake
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 12:35:15 +0200

On 11/6/17 11:48 AM, João Távora wrote:

No, I misexplained. Rubocop needs the buffer to be sustained by a file,
but then (mostly?) reads from stdin like it doesn't need it. It baffles
me, and possibly also flycheck.el where I learned about it. The flymake
backend just gives up if there is no buffer-file-name

Ah yes, I've read that too.

The backend seems to work fine for me in this regard, but that might
be dependent on the version, see
https://github.com/bbatsov/rubocop/issues/2576.

Hmm, then maybe I have an old one, I used apt install on debian.

Probably not. Anyway, I didn't see any difference with '--cache false'.

That aside, it seems like it didn't pick up the project configuration
file. Here's what worked for me:

Hey I didn't spend more than 5 minutes with it :-)

However long, I'm glad you did. Now, the version I've sent is pretty much working.

Will you push it to emacs-26? Where will it live? How/when will Flymake choose between rubocop-flymake and ruby-flymake?