Re: Split `simple.el'?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Split `simple.el'?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 09:36:32 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:43:26 -0700
>
> On 04/03/2018 03:25 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Splitting a file to circumvent such a bug sounds like a bad idea (at
> > least until we understand enough of the problem to decide that it's too
> > hard to fix or something).
>
> Clearly we should fix his display bug.

I don't think there's a display bug.  Drew has a very large number of
fonts installed, so searching for a font that supports some character
can take a long time, if none of them support that character.

IOW, it's a system configuration bug: with such a large number of
fonts, one should have at least one font that covers each Unicode
codepoint, and one might need to customize their fontsets to find the
fonts more quickly.

One possibility is to install the GNU Unifont, which AFAIK supports
the entire Unicode range, albeit with glyphs that are in many areas
simply ugly.