Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: RFC: Adding BBDB to Emacs core
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:57:24 +0100

Roland Winkler <address@hidden> writes:

>> BB> You can add my voice to "I'd rather just have in ELPA (and we
>> BB> should be moving more and more packages there).
>>
>> Same here. I really don't want to see BBDB moved into core. I do want
>> ELPA packages to become more "first class" than they are now, so that
>> the desire to add such packages to core would no longer have the same
>> appeal.
>
> A simple scheme could be a policy for naming development and release
> branches of packages in the ELPA git repository (beyond the current
> "externals" branches for individual ELPA packages), combined with tools
> that allow one to access one or the other version of a package.
>
> Or yet something different.

I think this going to be scary because packages are distributed across
multiple branches, so names would end up getting namespaced. I think
that MELPA has it right here -- packages should be in different repos,
master is trunk, last tag is release. This could be expanded to support
multiple releases if package.el supported multiple versions of Emacs.

Phil