Re: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engin

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engines, ...
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:50:18 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Another feature I'd like to add: a global "history" file.
> It would record all visited URI.

Yes, that would be very nice.  And then ecomplete completion over the
results, like most other browsers have.

There's a privacy issue here, though, so it should be possible to switch
it off.  And perhaps eww should have a porn, I mean anonymous, mode
where nothing is recorded: Neither cookies nor history.

> To make the history persistent, I would store it in a format similar to
> bookmarks but without any of the additional features I'm planning to add
> (tags, search engine, etc.).
> There would be the following keys:
> - URL
> - TITLE
> - TIME

Also the number of times it's been visited so that ecomplete can rank
the things you're most interested in first.

> Defcustoms would include:
>
> - The persistent file.
> - The max number of entries to keep (0 for unlimited).  Older entries
> get deleted first.

These can be stored directly in ecomplete, so that's not necessary.