Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: update intro to Emacs Lisp programming
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 05:38:33 +0200

On 2018-05-20, at 05:16, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>   > Apparently, the book was started/written in 1990 (I assume that from the
>   > copyright notice.)
>
> The Emacs Manual is even older than that.  So what?
>
>   > The words "blog" and "web 2.0" were coined in 1999.
>
>   > Youtube started in 2005.
>
> This doesn't add up to a coherent argument for a conclusion.
> Would you like to try to write a coherent argument for
> some conclusion?

Let me restate what has been written.

> On 2018-05-18, at 15:39, Van L <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Jean-Christophe Helary writes:
>>>
>>> Let me restate what I wrote. The book was written at a time when computer
>>> where not common and programming was a skill you could only learn from
>>> *books*.
>>
>> Do you have a link to a computer museum to strengthen that claim?
>
> Apparently, the book was started/written in 1990 (I assume that from the
> copyright notice.)
>
> The words "blog" and "web 2.0" were coined in 1999.
>
> Youtube started in 2005.
>
> I guess that should be enough.

Argument: the popular ways of learning _now_ are blogs (which are the
thing of "web 2.0", although nobody seems to be using that term now) and
videos (and I think YouTube started the trend of people putting their
videos on the Internet).  The popular way of learning _when Elisp Intro
was written_ was studying books.

Conclusion: Jean-Christophe was right, and we do not need a link to
a computer museum to strengthen that claim.

I thought that was pretty clear.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski