Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 13:11:34 +0800

On 2018-03-31 17:44 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> After not seeing a single hang since applying the patch (that's two
> weeks ago?), I got one hang yesterday and one hang today.  I started
> wondering whether I had somehow lost the patch, but no, this Emacs is
> still the patched one...
>
> The symptoms were the same as before: When negotiating a TLS connection
> from a timer, Emacs hung and I had to hit `C-g' three times to make
> Emacs progress.

I am finally able to use 26.1 (which I don't think has the patches from
Matthias) on macOS and already have to force-kill emacs twice. I am
posting this 16 minutes after the second hang.

This is probably the worst kind of hangs. In the middle of normal
editing Emacs suddenly stopped responding to any key strokes. No amount
of C-g or kill SIGUSR2 could get it back. I also checked the emacs
process was consuming nearly 0 CPU before kill-9.

The good work that Matthias Dahl is doing has potential to stabilise
emacs in this area and would be nice to have it for 26.2.

Leo