Re: Return value of finished threads

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Return value of finished threads
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 15:16:01 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> I think the way threads are marked has to be changed.
> I believe that, currently, once a thread exits, its fields are no longer
> marked.  However, with this change we want to be sure that the result is
> marked for a dead thread.

Yes, likely until a thread-join has happened. And a second thread-join
on the same thread shall always return ni.

How long do we keep the results of dead threads, for which no
thread-join happens? Do we need a Lisp cleanup function, which purges
all dead threads results? Or does this the GC, when no Lisp object holds
the dead thread any longer?

(Btw, I believe it will be much better when you implement this. It is
still hard for me to read and modify threads.c)

> Tom

Best regards, Michael.