Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 17:56:38 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Drew,

> What's the real reason for doing this, as the answer to the question
> of how to provide keys for async file commands?
>
> We will now have the variable, which users can set to get or not get
> async behavior for file commands by default. I questioned whether we
> should "spend" a prefix argument on flipping the variable value during
> the use of a particular command. And you pointed out that some
> commands that we want to be able to give asyncness already use a
> prefix arg for other things. So using a normal prefix arg was
> apparently dropped. (Thank you for that.)
>
> But is this the best way to offer users commands/keys that provide
> both sync and async file commands?

The variable sets a default. But sometimes, I want to visit a file sync
or async the other way the default tells. It is a simple approach to
overwrite the default ad-hoc, w/o fiddling with the variable customization.

And it has the advantage that it works both "C-x & C-x C-f ..." and
"C-x & M-x find-file ...". No new key bindings, no new commands. I
regard this as essential advantage, given my poor memory muscle ...

> Not sure what to think about the `C-x &' proposal. It certainly is
> interesting, though - seems even generally promising. We've never
> taken such an approach before, have we (dunno)? Is there a new need?
> Or is this discovery of a helpful, general new feature? Seems like the
> latter. (Could be both.) Perhaps this deserves some new terminology
> and general doc.

I propose we just start with it, and see how it works. Emacs 27 is years
away, there's much time for improvement.

> (Someone will probably point out that this is nothing special/new, and
> that I just haven't had enough coffee this morning...)

Indeed, you miss coffee :-) I have stolen this from
`universal-coding-system-argument' ("C-x <RET> c ..."), as suggested by Eli.

Best regards, Michael.