RE: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 09:27:32 -0700 (PDT)

> > I don't really think we should call `C-x &' here a "prefix argument", in any
> case.
>
> It follows the example of "C-x RET c", which runs
> universal-coding-system-argument.  So I see nothing wrong with the
> name: we have precedence.
>
> Or is that the "prefix" part that bothers you?

I see nothing in any of the doc (doc string, Emacs manual, Elisp manual) where
we talk about `C-x RET c' being a "prefix argument". And we should not, IMO. It
has nothing to do with a prefix argument, except that it reads a key sequence
and handles reading a prefix argument in doing that. It certainly is not a
prefix argument for the command it is bound to, nor does it provide a prefix
arg for the command it is bound to.

Even `C-u' (`universal-argument') is not a prefix argument. It is a command
that begins reading a prefix argument and that, possibly together with other
commands (such as `digit-argument') provides that prefix argument to a followup
command.