Re: Allow calling package-initialize more than once

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Allow calling package-initialize more than once
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 09:50:02 -0600

> It seems like it also affects users who modify
> package-directory-list.

You are correct. The same is true of package-load-list, etc. I was
using package-user-dir as a stand-in for "any values which could be
changed to intentionally load two different sets of packages", and
should have been clearer about that.

> Perhaps you could just make package-initialize copy these values and
> then do nothing if they have not changed.

How about instead of trying to magically fix it, we signal a warning
like present, except only when the aforementioned variables have
changed between the two invocations of package-initialize?

That will solve the problem of ordinary users being unnecessarily
pestered about superfluous package-initialize calls, and also solve
the problem of things silently not working in advanced configurations.