Re: Tramp as ELPA package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tramp as ELPA package
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 09:07:02 -0400

>> Why can't you take that package archive's content, put it in a Git
>> branch and push that to elpa.git?
> I've tried it. I've created a branch 'elpa' in the Tramp repository, and
> in this branch I've moved lisp/*.el to the root of the repository (via
> git mv). Committed this change. Then I've changed something in tramp.el,
> and tried to merge the master and elpa branches. The repository layout
> (i.e., where the *.el files are located) is merged as well. Not what I want.

Indeed, despite Git proponent's optimism, Git doesn't deal very well
with files that have moved, so you can't "git merge" into that
"archive-only" branch.  Instead you need to treat it like a "tarball",
not a branch.  I.e. instead of

    git merge master

you want to use something like:

    cp ../master/lisp/*.el ./
    make
    git commit

Of course, I'd prefer we fix the elpa.gnu.org scripts so they can run
the "make" themselves, which would solve this problem more cleanly.

> And as I said already, a manual merge (diffing all *.el files, and
> applying the changes) is not an option for me, because I must sync three
> different repositories manually then.

I had no intention to suggest manual merges, indeed.

        Stefan