emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104500: lisp/textmodes/bibtex.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r104500: lisp/textmodes/bibtex.el: new command bibtex-search-entries
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:50:13 -0300

> - I would never know whether I need to search forward or backward,
>   unless point is at the beginning (or end) of the buffer, which is
>   rarely the case for me.

Good point.  I have a hack to turn "C-s <number>" into a search for the
line number <number>, and I always use it instead of goto-line, but
I often end up having to type C-s one more time to force wrapping the
search to the beginning of the buffer.

> - I don't know which BibTeX file contains the entry I am looking
>   for. At somepoint in time it might have been natural that I put it
>   in one file. But later this might have shifted due to whatever
>   reason. For me, that's when I need the new command
>   bibtex-search-entries.

This can be addressed with `multi-isearch-next-buffer-function', whereby
rather than wrap to the beginning of the file the search can continue to
some other file.  ChangeLog file supports that, for example, and it
could make sense to add that to BibTeX.

I'm not completely satisfied with the UI of this feature, so I set
multi-isearch-search to nil in ChangeLog files, but I think it'd be good
to support the feature in BibTeX (and to improve the UI).

        Stefan