Re: Was: [Emacs-orgmode] Feedback on Scheduling? - How do you use yours?

From: Tim O'Callaghan
Subject: Re: Was: [Emacs-orgmode] Feedback on Scheduling? - How do you use yours?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:24:58 +0200

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 03:59:58PM +0200, Kevin Coates wrote:
> >> Yep - I need to make sure that the headline has enough info so
> >that when
> >> printed onto the HPDA I can understand/recall what it relates to.
>
> I'm also using a perl script to turn my org file of
> * ProjectName    :Project:
> ** NextAction     :Context1:
> ** AnotherNextAction     :Context2:
>
> into
> (i) a list of Projects (ie all items tagged with :Project:); and
> (ii) individual pages for each :context: tags with a list of
> corresponding next actions
>
> One way that helps me remember what the next action is about is to
> append [ProjectName] to the next action so the output is:
>
> Context
> - NextAction [ProjectName]

I like the :Project: TAG idea, i'm going to start using that one
myself. Any chance you could post the perl script for those
of us who are interested?

> >Do you have any interesting tools to help the weekly review?
>
> Only thing I've come up with so far is to generate a list of Projects
> (identified by the :Project: tag) which have no next actions (ie
> where
> the next item in the org outline also has a :Project: tag.
>
> Also on the list of projects I'm printing them as
> ProjectName [number of next actions]
> which helps me see where projects have a lot of stuff building up
>
> It's all fairly rudimentary at the moment, particularly as I'm using
> this as a way to learn perl - I'm a lawyer not a programmer ;-) - but
> I'm having fun.

Perl is surprising like that :)

I also like this idea, Its like a management summary on my
performance. A report to myself on how well i'm doing on my projects
and next actions.

> >how do you implement your tickler file?
>
> So far I don't have one.  I have been thinking about a separate
> "reminders" file with the format:
> StartDate, DueDate, NextAction :context:
> Then amending the perl script to parse this file as well so that any
> nextactions whose startdate is on or before today also get included
> in
> the context lists generated above.

I've been using a folder and my Calendar. A 'memo' set on the
appropriate date. Its not integrated into org mode, but it seems to be
working. I'm not sure if its idea yet, but i'm sticking with it for
the moment, as i want to try and avoid as much yak shaving as i can.

Tim.