Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 00:04:44 +0000

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 05:20:32PM +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> The idea to have groups of agenda files has come up before.
> It is hard to implement because agenda creating commands
> are *global* commands, so the group should not be a property
> of the location from where you call the agenda.
>
> You can, of course, already make custom commands that are
> restricted to a specific group of files, by setting
> `org-agenda-files' as one of the options for a custom command
> in org-agenda-custom-comands....

Ah!  Now that's a nice trick - I hadn't realised you could override
variables like that.  And given that option values are lisp
expressions, one could easily define a group of agenda files via
(defvar my-org-personal-agenda-files) and then use that variable in
one or more custom agenda commands.  Wouldn't that be good enough
for most people who want a file-grouping mechanism?

(I should make it clear that I still believe it's worth making the
tweak we agreed on to support CATEGORY="..." searches which catch
#+CATEGORY values.)