Re: [Orgmode] Re: Seeking further clarification of org-refile-targets va

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Seeking further clarification of org-refile-targets variable
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:03:49 +0100

On Dec 18, 2008, at 3:01 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

Charles Cave <address@hidden> writes:

I am having trouble understanding the help text for org-refile- targets. I don't know what a "cons cell" is and I would like to see some examples
of customising the variable.

For example, how can I specify headings of levels 1 and 2?
I entered the value of
(:level . N).
in the customization prompt but now I get a message
"No refile targets".

Perhaps some examples for non-Lisp programmers would be helpful.

As org-mode popularity increases, the users are not necessarily
Lisp-literate, and I have read messages from users willing to learn
Emacs just to use org-mode!

A cons cell is a lisp structure which has two values in parentheses
separated by a dot

 ie. (A . B)

There are functions (car and cdr) which returns the two values in the
cons cell respectively.

The easiest way to modify org-refile-targets is with the customize
interface.

C-h v org-refile-targets RET

then click the "You can _customize_ this variable." link

and then use the buttons to construct the value.

I have this value set as follows:

,----
| org-refile-targets is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is
| ((org-agenda-files :level . 1)
|  (nil :level . 1))
`----

where:

 (org-agenda-files :level . 1) specifies all level 1 targets in all
                               of my org files listed in
                               org-agenda-files

 (nil :level . 1)              specifies all level 1 files in the
                               current buffer

Sometimes I work in org-files which are not part of my
org-agenda-files list and I want to be able to refile to level 1 targets
in that file too.

I think you want the following setting:

,----
| org-refile-targets is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is
| ((org-agenda-files :level . 1)
|  (org-agenda-files :level . 2))
`----

This works well, but faster is:

 ((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 2))

Because it will do only one pass over all involved files.

- Carsten