[Orgmode] Re: Umlauts in LaTeX export

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Umlauts in LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 20:14:37 -0700

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

>>> you could define some shortcut to insert the appropriate Unicode
>>> character into your text (as your keyboard probably does not feature
>>> a "ö" key), or copy/paste the Umlauts from another Emacs file as
>>> necessary.

>>> But there is a nice emacs solution to enter umlauts:
>>> =C-x RET C-\ german-postfix RET= This enables an input method which
>>> allows you to enter all german umlauts: ä ü ö Ä Ü Ö and ß.

>> Even better, for the OP, is to switch to the tex input method (M-x
>> set-input-method RET tex RET)!  In this case, you can type \"o to get ö.
>> Almost all TeX and LaTeX sequences are understood (e.g. \forall to get
>> ∀, \exists for ∃, \alpha for α, \leftrightharpoons for ⇋, and so on.)
>> You can see all the characters with =describe-input-method=.

One concern I have with all of these solutions is that, if I use them in
a file that is encoded in ASCII, Emacs will switch the encoding to
Unicode, and that could have unexpected consequences (e.g., with version
control).  But I have also noticed that many of my Org files (though not
the one I originally encountered this problem in) are already encoded in
UTF-8, and I haven't had any Unicode-related problems.  Are these fears
misplaced?

Best,
Richard