[O] Including an active timestamp in encrypted (crypt) org entries

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [O] Including an active timestamp in encrypted (crypt) org entries
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 00:57:21 -0600

Hi folks,

So I timestamp everything I input into my (org-based) GTD system (except for inbox items, that I'm sure I will review soon anyway). Here's how I do it:

* Sample entry
  <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52>

I have  (org-insert-time-stamp nil t nil) bound to C-x C-y and I just insert it below the entry. This makes for a nice chronologic history of every data in the system.

However, I have a problem with encrypted entries. Of course, if I add it as part of the content to be encrypted, it will not appear as plain text, but i tried to do like this:

1) Create the entry:
* Sample Entry

2) Write its contents
3) Tag with :crypt:

* Sample Entry :crypt:

3) Save the buffer. The contents are now encrypted:

* Sample Entry :crypt:
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (Darwin)

4) Add the timestamp *before* the --BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-- line:

* Sample Entry :crypt:
  <2012-01-15 Sun 00:52>

5) Save again.

Expected: Encrypted message and timestamp to stay as is.
What happens: A new encrypted message is written, with the timestamp + the "old" encrypted message as part of it.

Any hints appreciated :)

- Marcelo.