Re: [O] GFDL

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: [O] GFDL
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:02:13 +1000

> I have asked RMS about this, and he says that the [GNU FDL] license
> should be present in printed versions of the document. I find it very
> hard to believe that this must be the case.

That matches my understanding. It may be hard to believe that such an
obnoxious intent was deliberate, but I think it is in our interests to
believe it true.

> It bothers me mostly for the guide, where I did spend a lot of time to
> make it compact, and now something like one fifth of it is license
> text.  We may actually consider to re-release the guide under a
> different license.

Please use this as an opportunity to seriously consider relicensing the
entire work (programs, documentation, etc.) of Org-mode under the same
license: the GNU GPL. It does not have the special problems of the FDL,
and having the whole work under the same license terms makes it simpler
and clearer.

> Will try to find a solution here.

Wishing you fortune in coming to a good solution.

--
 \        “The problem with television is that the people must sit and |
  `\    keep their eyes glued on a screen: the average American family |