Re: [O] Citations, continued

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Citations, continued
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2015 04:46:15 -0500

My only concern is that it remains possible to support this relatively
full set of citation options on export:

(defcustom org-ref-cite-types
  '("cite" "nocite" ;; the default latex cite commands
    ;; natbib cite commands,
http://ctan.unixbrain.com/macros/latex/contrib/natbib/natnotes.pdf
    "citet" "citet*" "citep" "citep*"
    "citealt" "citealt*" "citealp" "citealp*"
    "citenum" "citetext"
    "citeauthor" "citeauthor*"
    "citeyear" "citeyear*"
    "Citet" "Citep" "Citealt" "Citealp" "Citeauthor"
    ;; biblatex commands
    ;;
http://ctan.mirrorcatalogs.com/macros/latex/contrib/biblatex/doc/biblatex.pdf
    "Cite"
    "parencite" "Parencite"
    "footcite" "footcitetext"
    "textcite" "Textcite"
    "smartcite" "Smartcite"
    "cite*" "parencite*" "supercite"
    "autocite" "Autocite" "autocite*" "Autocite*"
    "Citeauthor*"
    "citetitle" "citetitle*"
    "citedate" "citedate*"
    "citeurl"
    "fullcite" "footfullcite"
    ;; "volcite" "Volcite" cannot support the syntax
    "notecite" "Notecite"
    "pnotecite" "Pnotecite"
    "fnotecite"
    ;; multicites. Very limited support for these.
    "cites" "Cites" "parencites" "Parencites"
    "footcites" "footcitetexts"
    "smartcites" "Smartcites" "textcites" "Textcites"
    "supercites" "autocites" "Autocites"
    ;; for the bibentry package
    "bibentry"
    )
  "List of citation types known in org-ref"
  :type '(repeat :tag "List of citation types" string)
  :group 'org-ref)

which we are currently able to do. I never type any of those in, org-ref
does it automatically from a key selection tool.

>From a user point of view, these to me look almost identical to link
syntax, which could be confusing.

 [cite:IN-TEXT-KEY]
 [cite:IN-TEXT-KEY?:SPACE* CITATIONS]

I don't see the payoff in adding it. you can already have those as
links, and export to pandoc syntac trivial in the first case. The
payoff only comes from item 4 in the list below, with a nested citation,
which I have never seen in the wild in scientific publications. Perhaps
it is more common in other fields.

I don't personally find the pandoc notation easier to understand, eg
address@hidden and address@hidden

vs

\cite{item} and \citeauthor{item}

The congruence you mention is not relevant for superscripted references,
there are no brackets or parentheses in that case.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F