[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner.el

From: Frederik Fouvry
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner.el
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:46:28 +0100 (CET)

| I have a few questions before merging this in. Gnus and related
| modules shouldn't be required for a compile, as one can happily use
| planner without them. What's a nice way to deal with this? Split those
| off into separate files?

Compiling them in doesn't mean that they should be used.  It does mean
that they should be available when the source file is loaded or
compiled, but Gnus is standard available in Emacs.  So is timeclock.
schedule is not, you could catch that case with

(condition-case nil (require 'schedule) (file-error nil))

Alternatively, you could (require 'gnus) in the functions that need
it, which will only cause it to be loaded when the function is used
and gnus is not loaded yet.  Or put it in different files as you
suggest, and use a customisable variable to-load-or-not-to-load the
extension (although I'm not really in favour of that for a package the
size of planner).

[...]

| I haven't quite figured out how font-locking works. <sheepish grin>
| Does it work properly after M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer or M-x
| emacs-wiki-highlight-buffer?

(I'm using global-font-lock-mode.)  Kind of, but not quite solid.

(Oh, one remark about emacs-wiki.el: it defines the variable
font-lock-mode, thereby throwing away any information and
documentation that is provided by the standard font-lock file.  It
should really be called emacs-wiki-font-lock-mode or so.  This is
really undesired interference with the standard setup.)

[...]

| Interesting. As you corrected my typo in the elisp function that looks
| for unfinished functions, I guess you're using those too... =)

Not quite - it so happened that it was the last function of the
file (or in the diff output).  So I just noticed it.

Frederik