Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Daily page vs. project page

From: pll+ew
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Daily page vs. project page
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:50:15 -0400

In a message dated: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:07:27 EDT
Michael Alan Dorman said:

>I like the idea of having hierarchical tasks.  I wonder how they will
>fit with task priorities---can subtasks have different priorities than
>the parent, etc.  It's mostly an academic wondering, though, since I
>don't actually use task priorities myself.

I think they should able to.  In my case, I have a task PayBills,
which has a bunch of tasks listed on it.

PayBills is my #A2 task for today, right behind #A1 Get Coffee ;)

But on the PayBills page, Electric Bill is ahead of PhoneBill, since
it's already overdue.  PhoneBill has 3 sub-tasks as well, so I would
like to see (as far as priorities go, display is left up to real
developers to decide :)

#A1 _     Get Coffee
#A2 _ [-] PayBills
#A1 _     > Electric bill
#A2 _     > Water bill
#A3 _     > PhoneBill
#A1 _       > Home
#A2 _       > Business
#A3 _       > Cell
#A0 X     > Cable bill

This view immediately tells me that:

 - Paying bills is my 2nd task to work on today
 - The Electric is the most important
 - The cable bill has been paid
 - All of the phone bills need to be paid, and the home phone bill
   is the most important of these.

This also shows that prioritization is relative to context.  An #A1
priority in one subtask should not necessarilly get equal listing as
an #A1 top-level task.

>I would think defining the task id to be a dotted decimal string instead
>of an integer would give us the ability to do whatever we want, as well
>as providing backwards compatibility.
>
>So a subtask of task 17 is task 17.1, a subtask of that task is
>17.1.7, so on and so forth, no doubt to some absurd level.
>
>Current tasks are non-hierarchical anyway, and, guess what, that's
>exactly what would be indicated by their un-dotted task ids or their
>lack of a task-id at all.

I like this idea!  Nice thought.
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE