Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] working with projects

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] working with projects
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:44:27 GMT

TC,

I tried your suggestions, but without success.  I'm not sure what I'm doing
wrong, but I'll keep trying.

thanks
aaron

> Christopher,
>
> Thanks.  I tried the code you sent and am still not having any luck.  Maybe
I have something else wrong.  So my setup is that my planner directory is
~/plans.  Under ~/plans I have Bookmarks/ and Foo/.  When I open a file in the
Bookmarks/ directory emacs is in "planner mode", but interwiki links
like Foo#BarPage don't work.  I've attached all of the planner settings I've
added to my .emacs file.

> thanks for the help,
> aaron
>
> from my .emacs:
>
>   (setq planner-directory "~/plans")
>   (setq planner-carry-tasks-forward t)

Let me begin by making two points:

a. *Why* any of what follows is necessary is left as an exercise to
someone else wiser than me.

b. I have *no* idea what I'm talking about, so use any of this at the
peril of your emacs setup and your own sanity and wellbeing

Anyway...

Comparing your setup with mine, one difference is the way you are
setting those variables.  Where you use "setq", I have
"planner-option-customized".  Like you, I *had* "setq" but
ran
into the sort of problem you're seeing.

Here's my setup, to let you see the syntax:

(planner-option-customized 'planner-directory
        "~/public_html/PlannerWiki")
(planner-option-customized 'planner-project
        "PlannerWiki")
(planner-option-customized 'planner-publishing-directory
        "~/public_html/plannerwiki")
(planner-option-customized 'planner-use-day-pages
        nil)

That covers most of the required variables. My understanding is that
that approach is appropriate for many of the usual planner variables
(viz. those covered by "defcustom" blocks in
planner.el).  However, if others which are not handled directly within
the planner lisp are to be modified, you still don't get to tweak them
using "setq".  Instead, you add them, and their values, to the
'planner-custom-variables, and then give that list a kick to make it do
its stuff.  Thusly:

(add-to-list 'planner-custom-variables
        '(emacs-wiki-project-server-prefix . "../plannerwiki/"))
;; Magically make that list do its stuff
(planner-option-customized 'planner-custom-variables
        planner-custom-variables)

So, bearing all that in mind, perhaps the first piece of your planner
set up should actually be as follows:

(planner-option-customized 'planner-directory
        "~/plans")
(planner-option-customized 'planner-carry-tasks-forward
        t)
(planner-option-customized 'planner-day-page-template
        "* Tasks\n\n\n* Notes\n\n\n*   Schedule\n\n\n")

I'm not sure that this stuff applies to remember (I'm not using that
feature at the moment).  Looking in remember.el shows that there is no
"remember-option-customized" corresponding to planner's
"planner-option-customized".  So I think you have to do something
different (maybe the setq is actually OK for remember stuff.)

Hope this doesn't hinder :-)

tc

Look for special offers on
NetZero Platinum & NetZero HiSpeed
Visit Best Buy, RadioShack or Kmart Today.