Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: RFC: verse tag markup and IE

From: Frederik Fouvry
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: RFC: verse tag markup and IE
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:48:39 +0100 (CET)

,-- On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:40:12 +1100, Angus Lees wrote:

[...]

| Regardless, we shouldn't be using something that *requires* CSS to
| work - that goes against the entire goal of CSS and modern HTML.  The
| structure described in the underlying HTML should be able to stand by
| itself (even if its a little uglier).  If you want line breaks and
| whitespace to be honoured, that means using <pre>.

Absolutely agree.

| > One of the things that frustrates me most about serving web
| > documents is that the webserver overwrites MIME type and document
| > encoding.  It makes no sense to me that the webserver's opinion
| > should be preferred to the information in the document itself.
|
| Its a simple bootstrapping problem - you can't look in the document if
| you don't already know what format and encoding the document is in.

We had a similar problem here as well with the a new Apache server.
The solution (from a bug report by W3C): the server should only send a
_default_ value, not a fixed one.  The default value should NOT be in
the configuration files (it's either compiled in, or assumed by the
browser, I forgot which, in any case according to some standard
(probably HTTP)).  That way, the users can override the specification
easily, for instance in a META element.  (If there is a HTTP header,
the META element is ignored.)

Frederik