Re: [ESPResSo] position folded in the code?

From: Axel Arnold
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo] position folded in the code?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:10:59 +0100

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 07:43:19 BIN ZHANG wrote:
> Hi, there:
>
> I have been reading the code of Espresso, and get confused about how
> the positions for each particle is stored. What exactly are the
> variables stored in the part[i].r.p[0-2]? are these folded positions
> around the pbc box? or real positions in 3d space?

Hi!

The positions stored with the particles are neither folded nor unfolded - they
are "almost folded". More precisely, the stored position can differ from the
true folded position by at most skin, a configurable parameter. The background
is, that otherwise one would need to exchange particles at processor
boundaries every time step, which is rather expensive. However, you need to be
careful when using these coordinates. For the force calculation, this is taken
care of by the fact that our cells are bigger than the interaction range +
skin, so that even if a particle should have moved to another cell or even
processor, its interactions are still calculated.

>  From the function centermass() in statistics.c, it seems to me that
> they are folded positions, since unfold_position() are called
> explicitly. Also, the function in domain decomposition:
> dd_exchange_and_sort_particles(), kind of support this.

The latter functions are actually the ones that from time to time fold back
the positions. No one else can do that, since the image position of the
particle is coupled to its location in the domain grid. Therefore, all the
other functions only temporarily unfold (or rarely, fold) the positions.

> If this were true, I would expect to call unfold_position() before any
> update of position in integrate.c. However, I do not see any folding,
> unfolding there.

Yes, because that is not necessary. Propagation can be done on unfolded,
folded or our "almost folded" coordinates, just that if you would propagate
with strictly folded coordinates, you would have to take care to update the
image information. After all, the information of an unfolded coordinate or an
folded coordinate plus image is exactly the same.

Axel

--
Dr. Axel Arnold Tel: +49 711 685 63593
ICP, Universität Stuttgart      Email: address@hidden