fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Multiple roles with partly shared configuration?

From: Jens Rantil
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Multiple roles with partly shared configuration?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 23:09:24 -0400

Hi dAnjou,

I see that noone has responded to you, so I'll give it a shot. It seems like you posted three separate, but duplicate e-mails, to this group. Let's hope all succeeding replies stick to this thread to keep things searchable and browsable. One e-mail is enough in the future. ;-)

There's multiple ways of doing what you want. Either way, I'd use functions and not classes. I guess it's just a personal preference. Pick and choose:

1. Setting up initial state in a task: Create one task that configures your env variable with all information needed to execute further tasks. This makes it possible to execute

$ fab master deploy
$ fab slaves deploy

This works especially well if deployment is fairly similar.

2. Use two "meta" tasks; ie. 'deploy_master' and 'deploy_slaves'. These two tasks can set up env state and call the individual tasks (possibly using `execute`[1]) needed to execute the individual steps of each deployment.

[1] http://docs.fabfile.org/en/1.7/api/core/tasks.html?highlight=execute#fabric.tasks.execute

Cheers,
Jens

Sent from my iPhone 5S