fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] fabric UI tool

From: Jeff Dyke
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] fabric UI tool
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 16:22:47 -0400

+1 for doing this with Jenkins.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Alexander Fortin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 21.07.2015, at 17:09, Kaushal Shriyan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Are there Pyhton Fabric UI application which will invoke the fabric cli commands at the backend. This is for people who are not tech savvy and hands on using cli commands on the linux console.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciable?

Hi Kaushal,

I’m not aware of any tool that does exactly what you ask for, but in our team we have set up a few parametrized jobs in Jenkins that check out Fabric code and execute some of those tasks for us. It’s far from being ideal, but it gives use a few benefits, including
- possibility to add ACLs and decide who can run what
- execution of tasks from a production server close to the affected hosts (instead of from an operator workstation)
- possibility to easily run them from a smartphone + VPN connection
- availability of logs (with colors! :D) for later inspection

The only tricky part is to set up the ‘Jenkins jobs’ parameters and translate them in Fabric host/roles list and tasks/parameters; again, far from ideal, but of the dozens of tasks we have, only a small subset requires any GUI-interface, so we’re ok with that so far.

HTH

--
Alexander Fortin