fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Does fabric have a better way to manager the hosts

From: Carl Waldbieser
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Does fabric have a better way to manager the hosts
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 11:36:36 -0400 (EDT)

There is nothing that stops your fabfile from reading a configuration file that
has the hosts in it and setting `env.roledefs`.  I use this for my own
deployment scripts.  I run it with a command line like:

  $ DEPLOYER_CONFIG=./myapp-config.yml fab -R STAGE deploy_config

Where "DEPLOYER_CONFIG=./myapp-config.yml" sets an environment variable in my
shell I can use to specify the config file, "-R STAGE" is the role-to-host
mapping that is defined in the config file and used to configure `env.roledefs`
in my fabfile, and "deploy_config" is the task that will be run.

You could also just have a default location for config files like
`$HOME/.myconfig.json`, etc.

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser