fhsst-authors

[Fhsst-authors] News: Good month for FHSST

From: Mark Horner
Subject: [Fhsst-authors] News: Good month for FHSST
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:32:16 -0800

Hi all

Its been a pretty good month. We are definitely picking up some good momentum.

We have some new contributors:
- Heather Gray has joined and is helping with some physics and looking into doing some recruiting
specifically for trigonometry
- Gray Africa is writing an essay on "Science: Skills for Life" which will go at the beginning of the science sections. Gray is a chemical engineer who then did the accounts conversion, moved on to
management consulting and is now doing his MBA.
- Dr. Shaun Kirchmann from the CSIR has joined us and will be helping get essays on the applications of science in the real world and perhaps some editing. Note we are looking for suggestions for essay topics. - Vanessa McBride has also volunteered to help now that her MSc is out the way

Feel free to recruit more people, we can just break tasks down.

We received the first chemistry contributions and the first maths contributions from Dawn and Andrea respectively.
Lara assures me that her gang are on track which is great!

The Dean of Science at UCT gave us his stamp of approval and Prof. Rochford of the Education Department is still on board. We need to contact him in the next week or so to finalise arrangements. For those who don't know his class of teachers in training will help to edit the book so that it meets outcomes based criteria.

On the publicity front we were contacted by a reporter from the Sowetan about an article and there may be a Business Day
article in the pipeline.

I have added some of the pstricks packages that make life difficult on a default install of Linux. Now you should be able to latex fhsst without installing anything extra. My new system had no problems.

On the whole things are looking good, keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Mark