fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] What is the role of nickname?

From: janne . pietarila
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] What is the role of nickname?
Date: Mon Aug 12 10:43:07 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:59:31PM +0300, Jukka K Purma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're having problems with people changing their personal information.
> From dtml-source it seems like people are once allowed to create a
> nickname. (but also it seems like they have a nickname already, since
> this uses get_nickname)
>
>  <dtml-if nickname>
>    <dtml-var get_nickname>
>  <dtml-else>
>    <input type="text:string" name="nickname" value="<dtml-var get_nickname>">
>  </dtml-if>

get_nickname() returns user's uname if user hasn't separate nickname. So
functionally similar, but maybe less confusing would be:

<dtml-if nickname>
  <dtml-var get_nickname>
<dtml-else>
  <input type="text:string" name="nickname" value="<dtml-var get_uname>">
</dtml-if>

> But it seems if you have this text-box available, but you won't change
> your nickname, it gives an error.

Yes, I just read the input checking code and it is broken. :-(

> Now the question:
>
> 1.  Why can I change my nick only once?

I think the idea was to make it less confusing for other users...
(For example, to avoid situation where notes written using nick A,
are suddenly written by nick B)

Of course, whether that was a good idea is open to debate.

> 2. Where is edit_user_form_handler?

Ok, Bo already answered this on.

--
Janne Pietarila