[fluid-dev] fluidsynth with alsa audio driver

From: Joan Quintana
Subject: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth with alsa audio driver
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 01:31:57 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to fluid-dev.

I use Ubuntu Studio (9.04, Jaunty), and I have an external sound card: Edirol
UA-25EX (hw:1) and of course my laptop internal soundcard (hw:0)

I can start fluidsynth with jack audio driver, no matters if I configure jack
with my internal device (hw:0) or my external device (hw:1):

$ fluidsynth -m alsa_seq -a jack  -l  soundfont.sf2

I can start fluidsynth with alsa audio driver, connecting to my internal device
(hw:0):

$ fluidsynth -m alsa_seq -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device='hw:0' -l  soundfont.sf2

But I can't start fluidsynth with alsa audio driver, connecting to my external
device (hw:1):

$ fluidsynth -m alsa_seq -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device='hw:1' -l  soundfont.sf2

and the reason is:
fluidsynth: error: Failed to find a workable audio format

trying with QSynth I can choose two sample formats: 16bits and float

>From fluidsynth -o help I think that the parameter to configure is:
audio.sample-format      STR   [def='16bits']

Any ideas?

I want to test all my hardware and code with JACK and without JACK, directly to
ALSA. Really JACK is a nice thing, but I ask if there are benefits to use ALSA
directly, avoiding the JACK layer.

Thanks in advance,

Joan Quintana
http://wiki.empresalibre.org/index.php/P%C3%A0gina_principal#Inform.C3.A0tica_musical