Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth with alsa audio driver

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth with alsa audio driver
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 00:43:22 -0400

Quoting Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <address@hidden>:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2009, Joan Quintana wrote:
I'm new to fluid-dev.

I use Ubuntu Studio (9.04, Jaunty), and I have an external sound card:
Edirol UA-25EX (hw:1) and of course my laptop internal soundcard (hw:0)
[...]
But I can't start fluidsynth with alsa audio driver, connecting to my
external device (hw:1):

$ fluidsynth -m alsa_seq -a alsa -o audio.alsa.device='hw:1' -l
soundfont.sf2

and the reason is:
fluidsynth: error: Failed to find a workable audio format

trying with QSynth I can choose two sample formats: 16bits and float

From fluidsynth -o help I think that the parameter to configure is:
audio.sample-format      STR   [def='16bits']

Any ideas?

UA-25EX in "advanced mode" uses 24 bits samples. This sample format is not yet
supportted by fluidsynth. You can switch off the "advanced mode" to use 16
bits samples.

Regards,
Pedro

Using ALSA device plughw:1 should do the trick as was already mentioned, which will do the necessary sample format conversion, in which case FluidSynth should be left at its default of 16bits for audio.sample-format.

Best regards,
Josh Green