Re: [fluid-dev] What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low lat

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] What is the best way start fluidsynth with zero/low latency?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:25:13 -0400

Hello Louis,

I think rather than a script, FluidSynth could try and be smart about what audio driver to use by auto detecting what is available and selecting accordingly. Determining what sort of values should be used in regards to latency though, could be tricky. But depending on the audio driver, some semi-sane defaults could be used. This would likely not be very low latency though, since the average setup does not support very low latency without underrun issues.

Cheers.

Josh

Quoting "Louis B." <address@hidden>:
The below email was sent just to me but I would like to share it with the list.

That is a really good idea, but a better idea might be to have a
"startfluid" script that is provided either by the distribution or is
part of the fluid synth team that works like the startx script. ie it
starts up fliud in the best manor with a GM sound set. I think it
would be best to have _one_ script that could be run by all the
different midi apps that want fluid started. PB could then call
start_fluid which would just start fluid with the best possible config
for that distribution. in an ideal world there would be no
distribution differences.

Just an idea any way. what do think about a startfluid script?

Louis