Re: [fluid-dev] Multiple Synthesizers

From: R. Mattes
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Multiple Synthesizers
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 18:43:40 +0200

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:01:02 -0400, fluid-dev-request wrote

> At 01:28 AM 9/29/2014, you wrote:
>
> >> Can you have different Fluidsynth Synthesizers open at one time?
> >> If I could make another synthesizer, then I'd have more room. Is that
> >> doable?
>
> >In general, yes. You can certainly make several fluid_synth_t objects
> >and they will just work independently of each other. Each one will have
> >a separate reverb and chorus engine, e g.
>
> OK, great.
>
> [...]
> I don't need to technically "mix" simultaneous audio, I only need
> more Bank slots than 128, technically. So for example say I have 70
> SoundFonts loaded (which in my case would take up 70 Bank slots),
>  and then the user wants to play a Preset from a totally full
> SoundFont, and that Preset was in the 60th Bank. Loading that
> SoundFont would be fine in one fluid_synth_t but the 130th bank
> would be inaccessible (or would it? If it would be, then my other
> objects would be affected). The solution would be to load the
> SoundFont into a new fluid_synth_t object, thus not affecting my
> other loads.

Hmm, the bank offset is defined as an 'int' - so there is plenty of
room for "full" SoundFonts even on a 32bit architecture. Those banks
aren't selectable with MIDI but as long as your app can select them
via fluidsynth's API there shouldn't be any problem.

HTH Ralf Mattes