Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 11:06:53 -0500

Thanks for responding!

>The spec says: "Generators at the Preset Level are instead considered
>"relative" and additive to all the default or instrument level generators
>within the Preset Zone."
>Both instruments set modEnvAttack and modEnvRelease to 100 ms. The preset
>generator of e.g. Polysynth2 sets them to approx. 70 for attack and approx. 50
>for release.
>
>This makes an attack of 100 ms * 70 = 7 sec
>and release of 100 ms * 50 = 5 sec.

I know you didn't write the spec =) but doesn't the "relative" and "additive"
mean:

Attack  of 100 ms + 70ms = 170ms
Release of 100 ms + 50ms = 150ms

The spec says additive, not multiplicative. Unless I'm missing something?

>The modulation in this case affects the filters cut-off freqency. Thus it
>needs 7 seconds for the filter to fully open. This is pretty much what I hear.
>Dont know about the 1.5 sec you refer to.

Just what I heard Vienna do, and I consider that the gold standard since Emu
created it at the time SoundFont was designed. But 7sec is closer sounding that
60ms =)

>Note however that what you hear is strictly speaking not correct. fluidsynth
>currently processes the modEnvAttack in a linear way. According to the spec
>(8.1.2 #26) it should however be convex. See here for further reading:
>https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/153

Thanks for the reference, interesting reading.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User