freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Unibangla [and other] controversy

From: Sayamindu Dasgupta
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Unibangla [and other] controversy
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 01:37:56 +0530

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 11:16 pm, address@hidden said in public:
> Quoting rahat ayub <address@hidden>:
> [snip]
>
> > Anir and Me both worked interchangably in the these projects.  Idea of
> > uniBangla font was initiated by Bakhtiar bhai on last september/October.
> > On that time I was not in that project. As we did not find any Bangla OTF
> > fonts. So there was no alternative to build from scratch. Initially 6-8
> > members used to meet in BIOS office in Dhanmondi 11/A. There were few
> > good graphic developers who were told to explore Typographical issue and
> > they tried in several ways to make glyphs. But rather than visual shapes
> > of the fonts we faced problem on Rules of bangla OTF fonts. Bakhtiar bhai
> > wanted concentration on Glyph Independed logics,specially provide a
> > better set of GSUB and GPOS tables. In this regards from december Milton,
> > Munmun, Shaheen of dataSoft spend hours to finish the logic sets.
> > Bakhtiar bhai created one font specification spec. Anir can send that if
> > necessary. Whatever it is you can understand my situation.  Ultimately I
> > would be happy if people gets few good quality fonts for linux. Thanks
> > for your suggestions.Rahat

But can you verify the attached screenshot?
TrueType/OpenType fonts usually do not have em sizes of 575.
The conventional value is 1024/2048.
Why did the developers choose 575 *specifically*?

Also, the sources were not provided (The VOLT vtp files and the pfaedit sfd
files).

Also, there is nothing called GNU license - I am not a lawyer, so I don't know
what the implications are if someone releases his/her work under a
nonexistent license, but this may create some trouble.

-regards-
Sayamindu

--
:
####[ GNU/Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]#######################

Sub : CSH Scripts :(                                 LOST #072

Wondering why the pundits say that CSH  scripts are considered
HARMFUL ? Although "tcsh" has improved on "csh" there are many
issues still to be tackled. For the full scoop, read:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

:

JPEG image