freeride-devel

[FR-devel] FreeRIDE Presentation at Ruby Conf 2002

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: [FR-devel] FreeRIDE Presentation at Ruby Conf 2002
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 00:00:38 -0800

Rich Kilmer did an excellent job presenting FreeRIDE yesterday at Ruby
Conference 2002! There was a real buzz of excitement in the room, and over
all it was a great success.

Rich started the presentation with a short history of the FreeRIDE project,
and a brief overview of its features. He then quickly dived in the internals
of FreeRIDE explaining the plugin system and the Databus. The live demo
brought on lots of "ooooh"s and "aaaah"s, and the Databus Inspector just
blew them away as many of them started to "get" what the Databus was all
about (I heard "very cool" mentioned often).

We had everything in FreeRIDE working except for the debugger under Windows.
Rich told the crowd that we hoped to have the Windows debugger problem fixed
soon and have tarballs and zip files available for download within a couple
weeks.

This is a milestone for us in two ways. First this is our first release of
FreeRIDE, and it was very enthusiastically received. And second, FreeRIDE is
now functional enough that we can "eat our own cooking" and use FreeRIDE
ourselves in the further development of FreeRIDE.

Way to go guys, and my deepest thank you to the entire team!

Curt

PS
   Shortly I will post Rich's presentation slides on the Wiki. Its an MS
PowerPoint presentation, so I want to convert it to JPEG and PNG images
first.