freeride-devel

[FR-devel] Properties now using YAML

From: Rich Kilmer
Subject: [FR-devel] Properties now using YAML
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:53:46 -0500

I updated the properties class to use YAML.  It took some time to get
the format down.  It looks like this right now (our system properties
file):

#### Properties: Core configuration file - Version: 1.0
properties: ~
"|":
  - config: ~
    "|":
      - log_file: "./config/freeride.log"
      - log_level: "0"
      - log_name: FreeRIDE
      - plugin_path: "./plugins"
      - product_name: FreeRIDE
      - setup_file: "./config/setup.rb"
  - version: ~
    "|":
      - major: "0"
      - minor: "0"
      - release: "5"

Its kind of weird, but the "|": slot is a hash key whose value is an
array of hash (slots).  Anyway...its more readable and less verbose than
the xml.  I am going to go through the code and see where I can simplify
it.

Oh, and I found a MAJOR bug that was causing startup time to really
suck.  I had the Properties class subscribe to the properties slot, then
loaded the slots with data (from the persistent file).  Every time you
set a value the damn subscription would kick off and the properties
would be rewritten.  Some of our properties file are 80-90 long, so this
really bit.  Sorry about that.  You will notice startup times are a fair
bit faster ;-)

-rich
Rich Kilmer, InfoEther LLC
trap("SIGINT") { raise [104, 101, 108, 108].pack("cccc") }