freeride-devel

[FR-devel] First Post

From: David Naseby
Subject: [FR-devel] First Post
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:15:52 +1000

I have just joined the developer list, so I probably should introduce
myself, even if lurking is my major activity.

My name is David Naseby, and I'm a software developer from Sydney,
Australia. I've been working in Ruby since mid-2000 whenever I get the
opportunity, although work tends to force me down the Microsoft track
(mostly C# these days). I've developed 2 commercial systems in Ruby,
specifically with FXRuby - a Call Centre linking to a POS system for a
restaurant chain, and a content management system called 404NoMore.

FreeRIDE seems a great project for me, and the Ruby community at large. I'm
hoping to contribute around the edges with plugin development, rather than
diving into the core group which seems both established and producing
excellent work already.

Thus far, I've made 2 petty experimental plugins: a Windows Explorer
launcher which is released on the wiki, and an ri browser - select some
text, select the menu option for ri help, and the ri output goes to the
Output window. I probably won't bother releasing that one for a while, as I
had to extend the editpane classes to handle a get_selected_text method
(ultimately calling getSelText in Scintilla) to make the plugin work.

Next on my list of things to allow FreeRide to replace RDE as my IDE of
choice is some TestUnit integration (click on output window line, go to
failed test line) and output parsing. Is any work down this line underway
already, or should I plough on?

Anyway... nice to be here.
David Naseby