freeride-devel

[FR-devel] Request for community support

From: Hal E. Fulton
Subject: [FR-devel] Request for community support
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:29:24 -0500

Things are tough all over, and we're all pressed for time.

I've just submitted this proposal to the Ruby Conference:

   "Toward a Refactoring Framework for FreeRIDE"

   FreeRIDE currently has powerful editing and
   debugging capabilities, but no support for
   macros, scripting, code-assist operations, or
   refactoring. A suitable abstraction layer
   (exposing a good API) would make it possible to
   add these features while keeping the parser and
   the editor pluggable. Ideally, programmers should
   be able to create and share scripts without deep
   knowledge of FreeRIDE internals.

Obviously this project won't be "finished" in the next ten
weeks or so. But I'd like to make a good start and have
an API worth seeing and some code worth demonstrating.

I hope, first of all, that this sub-project proves viable
and extends far beyond my talk in November.

I also want to make clear this is not "my" project. Like
the rest of FreeRIDE, it is a group effort. I just want to
start something that others can build on.

Now, the request:

If I am going to have something suitable in ten weeks, I
can't do it entirely alone. I hope that when I have opinion
questions or code problems or need something beta-tested,
you people will be here for that.

As I said, we're all busy. But I will need your periodic
support and assistance over the next ten weeks. Not every
day, but probably every week.

Can I count on you for that?

Thanks,
Hal