Re: FT2: ftraster questions

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: FT2: ftraster questions
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:43:11 +0100

At 1:18 AM +0100 1/2/00, David Turner wrote:
>As usual, sorry for my latest silence. I have been busy re-vamping the web
>site and server. Please consult http://www.freetype.org to see what has
>changed recently.

Thanks! A lot has changed indeed.

>I'd like to say that the latest version of FreeType 2 is available for
>download as
>well as through anonymous CVS access. It currently compiles and runs pretty
>well on Linux.

Excellent, I've grabbed the latest version by CVS, and ftraster.c has
indeed changed considerably since the version I downloaded 3 days ago ;-)

My findings so far (note that I'm using FreeType2's ftraster.c as a
standalone unit):

- ftraster.c (and ftobjs.c, which ftraster.c seems to depend upon) compiles
fine under MacOS/CodeWarrior 4, except when I define the symbol
_STANDALONE_...
- The ft_default_raster struct is not exported in a header file, nor are
the FT_Raster_* functions. Either of those two are needed for standalone
usage.
- antialiasing doesn't seem to cause crashes anymore, yay!
- ...but it seems to use levels of gray spread over a range from 0 (white)
to 127 (black), where I expected 0..255. (I set FT_Bitmap.num_grays to 256,
if it matters.) Do I need to do my own conversion, or is there another way?
- the antialiasing algorithm seems to do horizontal oversampling only (or
mainly?). This looks *great* on vertical stems, but not so good on
horizontal stems.

I've put a showcase for my last two points at
  http://www.petr.nl/just/ft2sample.gif

Despite the comments: great stuff guys, thanks!

Just