Re: cleaning up FT2

From: Stefan Seefeld
Subject: Re: cleaning up FT2
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:13:53 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> .) Why are header files in `freetype2/src/shared'?  Wouldn't be
>    `freetype2/include' a better place?  If not, I suggest to move the
>    files to `freetype2/src/shared/include' for orthogonality.

What are the assumed places for the installed package ? Will it be
(as I'd prefer) in include/freetype/ or include/freetype2/ ?
This is I think the best to avoid 'namespace pollution'. Programs
then need to include either <freetype/...> or set the -I flag explicitely.

Also, may I suggest that I eventually write a C++ front end for freetype2 ?
I'd like to take advantage of typical C++ idioms such as 'initialization is
resource aquisition' and others. I'd use a namespace such as 'FT' or 'FreeType'
or so and inside that simply use class names such as 'Face', 'Glyph' etc.

I already did this (based on the gltt library) but now with the new API
will throw it over board (or are you interested in this stuff ?)

On a different topic: you were discussing recently  a mailing list for
cvs updates. How are you generating the mails ? Do you parse the repo
locally ? I try to do the same with berlin's repository on sourceforge,
but have only remote access to it (via cvs itself) so am asking myself
how to do that.

Finally, I'd be very interested in some docs/tutorial about how to use
ft2 in the context of a real text processor. The berlin architecture
has two modules concerned about text: a DrawingKit (which should directly know
the font API) and a TextKit. While the DrawingKit does the rendering (as
the name implies), the TextKit does the layout and higher order processing
of the glyphs (in abstract terms). It is supposed to be a real WYSIWYG engine,
i.e. we need to be prepared to work with different DrawingKits in parallel
(a PSDrawingKit for printing for example) so need to compensate for mismatched
glyph sizes if the corresponding font can't be allocated in the other
DrawingKit.I'd like to learn about how from the font's point of view I should
deal with things like ligatures (is there some information about them in a
font ?) and hinting in arbitrarily transformed (i.e. incl. rotated !) glyphs.

Regards,        Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal