Re: CVS web interface screwed up

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: CVS web interface screwed up
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:50:44 +0100

By the way,

Just van Rossum a écrit :

> No problem ;-)
>
> (I'm still not any further with my plans for a Python wrapper for FT2, I
> hope to finish it soon...)

  I have recently re-formatted lots of FreeType sources in order to
  make the famous "FT_<Object>_<Method>" reformatting you suggested.

  It hasn't been very difficult, but I'd like to say that I'm not
  incredibly satisfied with the results. What really bothers me is
  that many functions are methods of the face object, though they
  really act on inside "FT_Size" or "FT_Glyph" objects.

  For example :

   FT_Set_Char_Size  & FT_Load_Glyph can be translated either to:

      FT_Size_Set( face, ... )
      FT_Glyph_Load( face, ... )

   or

      FT_Face_Set_Size( face, ... )
      FT_Face_Load_Glyph( face, ... )

   The first case is confusing, at best, for most novice users, because the
   first argument isn't a "size" or "glyph". The second isn't too bad,
   but nearly all functions are methods of a FT_Face, and I find it
   really redundant.

  So, could people in the list tell me which way they prefer, or if they
  simply do not want to see the API fuctions names changed. My opinion is
  that the current interface is clear and simple to understand, even if
  it's not completely OO to the death ..

  Any suggestions ? Am I missing something ??

- David

PS: Of course, threse changes were not comitted yet..